Featured Post

almost gone

Sunday, June 14, 2015

The big day...


Yesterday was your big day - you started Kindergarten at Bowman International. Nana-nani were here to give you their blessings. How wonderful that they could be here to do that. Nani fed you a spoon of "dahi aur cheeni" to mark the occasion. I loved the little ceremony.
We drove together -- your dad and I to drop you off. At school, outside your classroom, it was all over before I could get acclimated to the new drop off. With a kiss and a wave you were gone and your dad and I were left standing there agape. I was quite apprehensive about my little baby and how she will fare on day one but you seemed so with it....my little self-contained one. As I always say, "You're wise beyond MY years."
This morning however there were a few tears. You complained about how long the day was and how much you "...missed mommy all day". I know you're pining for the lazy and magical, warm days with nana-nani that you've spent this summer. To comfort you, we talked about using your "kissing hand" and you said "it did not work" so i showed you how it works only if you place it on your heart and say "i miss mommy and now I feel better". That seemed to help. Then you demanded today (day 2), to carpool with Anya so I had to call Rizwana aunty and arrange that. Once again you left with a big smile and were gone before I could get my fill of your sweet smile...

How I miss you my little one. It's a big week for you and for me. I think about how this is your first big step into the world. My love is with you, always.

----
--Reena
Publishing now that my little dumpling has graduated from 8th grade ...9 years later ...but this was written after that first day of Kindergarten.
September 6th 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment